Welcome to our Challenge Walks website
General Data Protection Regulation 2018 – Please note that any data collected and stored by the organisers of the challenge walks through the entry process will not be shared with any other party.
Black Dragon Challenge Walk
The BDCW has been run each year since 1982, and takes as its base the small market town of Crickhowell, near Abergavenny. This walk challenges even the best and the fittest, and includes a total of 6,700 feet of ascent through the surrounding Black Mountains. All proceeds from the event are donated to the Brecon Mountain Rescue team. Please note that the event is a test of map reading and navigational skills in mountainous terrain. Consequently the organisers do not provide a written route description. All checkpoints and grid references are detailed on the entry form.
The BDCW Details
The Standard Route
There are 3 options available in the 2019 challenge:
1. The standard route - 26 miles/42 kilometres (refreshments available en route)
2. The Endurance Leg - 30 miles/49 kilometres (refreshments available en route)
3. The Ridge Route – a shorter option (19 miles/30 kilometres) which keeps at a high level (no refreshments en route)
Entry Prices for 2018
2. Endurance: Endurance £23.00 in advance ONLY
3. Ridge £15 in advance / £18 on the day
CUT-OFF DATE FOR RECEIPT OF PRE-ENTRIES:
WEDNESDAY 3RD APRIL 2019
Please contact email@example.com for queries.
Key Information, Terms and Conditions
2. Doors open at 7am for registration. Entrants cannot start the walk before 8am, or after 9am.
3. MOUNTAIN KIT - YOU MUST CARRY THIS FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY. A KIT CHECK WILL BE CARRIED OUT BEFORE YOU ARE ALLOWED TO REGISTER.
Each entrant (including every member of a team or a family group must carry the following:
a) Map - OS map 1:25,000 Explorer OL13 or 1:50,000 Landranger 161
b) Clothing - full waterproofs (jacket & trousers), hat, gloves, boots or fell shoes
c) Equipment - Compass, torch, whistle, simple first-aid kit - We recommend that you also carry food and drink
4. All entrants will be given a wristband to wear at the start of the walk, which is used to register the entrant at each checkpoint.
5. Entrants MUST BE 18 YEARS OF AGE+ on the date of the walk and sign the entry form as declaration.
6. All retirees must retire AT A CHECKPOINT and surrender their wristband to a Brecon Mountain Rescue Team member.
7. All starters MUST CHECK IN AT THE FINISH BEFORE LEAVING FOR HOME. Failure to do so will cause the organisers undue work and worry in trying to verify your location and safety.
8. For the Standard and Endurance Routes, entrants who have not reached checkpoint 6 at Pentre by 16.00 WILL BE ASKED TO RETIRE.
9. In the event of adverse weather conditions, the Brecon Mountain Rescue Team at their sole discretion will decide on safety grounds whether the event can take place, and the organisers accept no liability in respect of any parties' losses or expenses in the event the walk is subsequently amended or cancelled. Where possible, we will endeavour to publish any available udpates prior to the walk on this website.
10. The 19 mile Ridge Route visits checkpoints 1,2,7,8 (no refreshments en route).
11. PLEASE NOTE: NO DOGS ALLOWED - it's the lambing season.
Checkpoints – Standard Route
|Checkpoint||Grid. ref||ETA||Checkpoint||Grid. ref||ETA|
|Start - Crickhowell||216 185||08:00||5. Mynydd Llangorse||157 261||14:15|
|1. Crug Mawr||262 226||09:30||6. Pentre (road junction) (R)||183 262||15:00|
|2. Waun Fach||215 299||11:30||7. Pen Allt-Mawr||206 243||16:30|
|3. Dragons Back Inn (R)||174 296||12:30||8. Table Mountain||225 206||17:30|
|4. Mynydd Troed||165 292||13:15||Finish - Crickhowell||216 185||18:00|
(R) = Refreshment point (biscuits, cakes and squash and spare water)
The Talybont Trial
The Talybont Trial (“TT”) takes place in September from the small village of Talybont-on-Usk, this is a tough 20-mile hike through lesser-walked parts of the Brecon Beacons. At this time of year the autumnal colours can be lovely, though you may be too tired to appreciate them! There’s a shorter 10-mile option available as well.
The grid references for all of the checkpoints on the TT20 route are detailed on the manual entry form which can be downloaded below. For the TT10, a route description will be issued on the day of the event to all entrants.
Forms and Prices
The 2018 Talybont Trial will be held on
Saturday September 15th 2018
2018 Entry Fees
For the 20 mile walk (over 18s only): £18 in advance / £22 on the day (per person)
For the 10 mile walk (adult or child): £10 in advance / £15 on the day (per person)
Entering as a Group (TT20 only) - advance entry only: 3-5 people £15 each
To download manual entry form, please click here
Please post the form to the following address:
Newport Outdoor group
22 Garrick Drive
To enter online, please click here